I have never met Lori Martin, but I feel like she and I have been hanging out for years. Lori is a member of the Pals, a group of Mary Fish’s downlines. I have enjoyed bantering back and forth with Lori on our Pals Chat Facebook group and have even had the opportunity to speak with her on the phone on occasion.
I was unable to attend the 2012 Stampin’ Up! Convention in Salt Lake City. While all the Pals were there, I received this card in the mail, one of Lori’s Convention Swaps:
Now, here are 5 things I love about Lori’s card:
- The shapes. I love the playful use of shapes in this card – the double layer of the Labels Collection Framelits, the Lucky Limeade scallop at the base of the card. I have always viewed the Labels Collection as a formal frame. I love that she pairs it with the playful birds, putting a new spin on the shapes for me.
- The colors. I really like the diversity of color families represented in this card. Although they are In Colors, I would classify Midnight Muse as a Regal and Lucky Limeade as a Bright or Subtle. Crumb Cake is a Neutral, and Daffodil Delight is a Bright. Now that you have finished your colors lesson, take a look at how well her colors work with one another here.
- The sentiment. I always love it when you can use a stamp that is designed for a certain purpose in another way. The sentiment at the bottom of the card is from a birthday set but is perfect for any occasion – in this case, to wish you a wonderful day, a bird, a butterfly and a wagon of flowers.
- The paper. Don’t forget the Naturals papers! I don’t use then enough and reach for my Whisper White and Very Vanilla at every pass. Lori uses Naturals White for the base of the card and for the frames around the bird. Because I get the pleasure of holding the card in my hand, I can see how wonderful it looks on the card (in case you can’t see it in this picture). It also smells like strawberries.
- The artistic effects. I really like the artistic touches on this card. Her sponging around the frames and even along the Crumb Cake base is wonderful! Lori, perhaps a tutorial on how you keep it so light? I tend to be heavy handed with my sponging. She also reminds me that I have all those markers. I tend to lean toward water coloring or coloring with my Blender Pens, but the use of Stampin’ Write Markers here is perfect!
Thank you, Lori, for this card and for allowing me to showcase it on my blog. Lori’s other creations can be seen at http://therejoicingpapercrafter.com.
Stamp sets: For the Birds, Bring on the Cake, Confetti Paper: Confetti White, Midnight Muse, Crumb Cake, Lucky Limeade Ink: Black StazOn, Midnight Muse, Crumb Cake Stampin’ Write Markers: Lucky Limeade, Crumb Cake, Bashful Blue, Daffodil Delight, Raspberry Ripple, Blush Blossom, Basic Black Accessories: 1/4″ Stitched Grosgrain Ribbon, Labels Collection Framelits, Large Scallop Edgelits, Delicate Designs Embossing Folder
Thanks for stopping by my blog today!