Yesterday I shared my first shaker card. While I have the Shaker Frames that are in the Annual Catalog (they are a great way to start a shaker card), I decided to go another route for this one. Here’s the card I shared yesterday:
- Cut the Box. The front face of this card is created with the top of a Decorative Window Gift Box. Rather than pull out my Window Sheets and build a shaker from scratch, I opted to cut corners by using the already-assembled box front. I cut the lid off and then cropped it to a 3-1/4″ square. The scalloped circle is already white- embossed around the circular window, so it’s almost like I’m working with a kit – several details are already done for me. Woo hoo!
- Cut the Paper. Crop several sheet of card stock that will be used as the remaining components of the card:
- Crop a 3-1/2″ square of Calypso Coral cardstock.
- Crop a 4″ square of Crisp Cantaloupe cardstock.
- Crop a piece of Kraft cardstock at 4-1/2″ x 9″ and score it at 4-1/2″.
- Create the Sentiment. I really love how the sentiment covers most of the window on the front of this card – but not all of it. It causes the sequins (more about that later) to work to peek around the sides and share their shine with the recipient. Stamp the “hello” sentiment from #hello in Versamark on Whisper White cardstock and emboss it with Calypso Coral Stampin’ Emboss powder. Crop with a 2″ Circle punch.
- Trim the Calypso Coral Cardstock. I wanted to create a Calypso Coral border around window box but needed to hollow out the center of the cardstock so that it wouldn’t show through the window. I punched the center with the 2-1/2″ Circle punch (as a starter) and then roughly cut around it. No need to be neat because the cardstock is going to be glued behind the kraft lid.
- Assemble. The next steps are the quick-and-dirty for assembling the cardfront:
- Glue the Calypso Coral piece to the back of the window, centering it on the sides of the box lid.
- Surround the Calypso Coral piece with the edges from a sheet of Stampin’ Dimensionals. I always save the edges for use with smaller objects, but it was kinda’ fun to use them all in one sitting.
- Place a handful of sequins in the center of the Crisp Cantaloupe piece of cardstock. Here’s what mine looked like (but I suggest you put about half this amount).
- Peal the backing off the backs of the Stampin’ Dimensionals, flip it over and stick it to the Crisp Cantaloup piece – just over the sequins.
- Glue the Crisp Cantaloupe piece to the kraft card base.
- Finish it Up. With Stampin’ Dimensionals, center the 2″ circle on the window. If you want a super-sturdy sentiment, emboss it on a Whisper White notecard (they are thicker). I didn’t use a notecard, so I added a bunch of Stampin’ Dimensionals to make it more sturdy.
- Smile. Sit back and smile – you’ve done it! You’ve made a project you can be happy with and that will make someone else super-happy, too!
And this concludes today’s Shaker Card Class. This was SO fun to make – I can already see it working its way into my classes and clubs. Woo hoo!
Stamp Sets: #Hello Papers: Kraft Cardstock, Crisp Cantaloupe, Calypso Coral, Whisper White Accessories: Calypso Coral Stampin’ Emboss Powder, Decorative Window Gift Boxes, 2013-2015 In Color Sequins Assortment, Stampin’ Dimensionals
Thanks for stopping by today!