On Thursday I shared a warm and friendly card I made with Stampin’ Up!’s Festive Fireplace stamp set. The card was for this week’s Pals Paper Arts Color Challenge, so I wanted it to be exactly what I wanted it to be. That made sense, right? Here’s the card I shared with you on Thursday (you can click on the picture to see the original post):
What you might not have known at the time is that this card was a partial makeover of another card I designed a couple days before. I like both cards, but I felt that this one was a better representation of the warmth of these colors and showcased the stamps better. Today I’m going to show you the other card and explain what I changed and why.
Here’s the first version of this card:
I was going for a modern, deconstructed version of a fireplace. In some sense, I accomplished that, right? While I really liked this card, I knew it was missing the warm wishes the sentiment described. I love white space, but this card felt like it was overwhelmed with emptiness. I was so happy with they way I painted the fire and logs that I didn’t dare remake that. Instead, I disassembled the card cut the watercolor paper piece and cropped it with my guillotine paper cutter.
And here is a quick rundown of the “why” behind my changes:
- I added an accent panel of Sweet Li’l Things Designer Series Paper. My funky, modern fireplace was missing something – the warmth of color you’d expect from a fire. The Tangelo Twist paper added color AND the little pops you’d expect from a flickering fire – just look at those little circles.
- I reduced the size of the Watercolor Paper layer. The panel was just too big. I shared the first picture with a couple of friends who all agreed I needed to add something – maybe add sparks or watercolor splashes, maybe add a mantel above the fire to cut out all the white space? I agreed but wasn’t willing to ruin the fire I had watercolored. As such, I cropped down the image and relayered it. The image in the second card still has a panel of Blackberry Bliss glued behind it – both layers are glued to the frame of Blackberry Bliss.
- I moved the sentiment right a bit to balance the card. When the fire panel was perfectly balanced in the center of the card, the long, slender sentiment needed to also be centered. When I moved the fire to the left, though, the sentiment needed to move right to balance everything out. If you squint, you’ll see that the large, white panel on the left balances against the orange band and sentiment on the right. Now, please send me a nickel. Thanks. 🙂
- I slightly increased the size of the Crumb Cake panel. I suppose this change wasn’t 100% necessary, but I increased the size of the Crumb Cake base when I added another element to the card (the large band of Designer Series Paper). The change wasn’t huge, but it’s something to consider when constructing a card.
Stamp Sets: Festive Fireplace Papers: Sweet Li’l Things Designer Series Paper, Crumb Cake, Blackberry Bliss, Watercolor Paper Inks: Archival Basic Black, Hello Honey, Tangelo Twist, Crumb Cake Accessories: AquaPainter, Stampin’ Dimensionals
I don’t always re-work a card – sometimes it’s just done when I’m done. I knew I could make this one better, though, so I captured the photo and then started over (kinda). I hope you found this comparison helpful.
Thanks for stopping by today!