Along with Claire Broadwater’s color combination this week (Daffodil Delight, Real Red, Pacific Point and Basic Black), she suggests the colors would be perfect for a back-to-school card. She’s absolutely right! I made a fun card that’s perfect to tuck in a backpack or to drop in the mail for a kid in college. Badges & Banners gave me just the sentiment and image I needed to get started. Here’s my card for Claire’s challenge:
And here’s the banner for this week’s challenge that inspired my card:
Tips, Tricks and Reminders
- Enjoy Your Day with Badges & Banners. While this bundle wasn’t at the top of my list when Stampin’ Up!’s 2016 Annual Catalog launched, I sure have enjoyed using it. I was baffled by how I would ever use “enjoy your day” on a card, but this back-to-school project was a perfect time to showcase it. Don’t you agree? I stamped the image with Basic Black in on Daffodil Delight cardstock and then cropped it with the Best Badges punch:
- Three Additional Stamp Sets. While the star of this card is the bright badge from Badges & Banners, there are three additional stamp sets that work together to make this card special. Can you name them? Here’s a hint – one was used to create the “so proud of you” sentiment, one was used to create the starburst behind the badge, and one was used to stamp the notebook lines in the background. Although I already know you know them, I’m going to share them here, anyway:
- Crazy About You, #137137 (photopolymer). This is such a versatile set with endless combinations of words. Because it’s offered in photopolymer, I reach for this set a lot.
- Kinda Eclectic, #135350 (clear mount). This starburst has been super-popular since this set was released years ago. It works perfectly behind this badge. I stamped it in black so that it would appear to have been sketched by an artistic doodler. Woo hoo! Spellcheck didn’t even warn me about doodler – it’s a word! I looked, and it means “a silly person.” Not where I was going, but it all still feels successful.
- Writing Notes, #138954 (wood mount). I stamped the Writing Notes background stamp with Pacific Point. A perfect throwback to school days.
- Still Centered. Although the panels on this card are offset from one another, I made sure that the left side of the blue layer was the same distance from the left side of the card base as the right side of the white layer was from the right side of the card base. It took a little planning ahead to make sure it would all work – I shifted the images back a forth a bit before gluing down the blue panel. That planning is well worth the trouble.
Stamp Sets: Badges & Banners, Crazy About You, Kinda Eclectic, Writing Notes Papers: Real Red, Basic Black, Pacific Point, Daffodil Delight, Whisper White Inks: Pacific Point, Archival Basic Black Accessories: Best Badge punch, Stampin’ Dimensionals
I hope you’ll pop over to The Paper Players site to see the cards by the design team members and to play along with this week’s challenge.
Thanks for stopping by today!
Thoughtful Branches. For a limited time (August 2 – August 31), customers can now order the AMAZING Thoughtful Branches bundle – if you don’t have it yet, you definitely want it. To read more about this incredible, new bundle, CLICK HERE.
2016 World Card Making Day Event – November 4 (Friday before On Stage in Atlanta). For the fourth year in a row, Pam Morris and I are hosting a World Card Making Day in Atlanta for our demonstrator friends. This year, we are hosting the amazing event on November 4 (a month after World Card Making Day) to coordinate with the Stampin’ Up!-sponsored event that will be there the following day. We’d love for you to join us! To read more about the event and register, CLICK HERE.