Colorful, vibrant cards are incredibly wonderful. I make a lot of them, but it’s nice to step away from all the color every once in a while and retreat to colorless hues. I made a lot of bright cards this past week with flowers and sunshine, but I’ve also had an itch to use the Postage Due stamp set for a while. Why not cap off a colorful week with this muted and elegant card? I’m very happy with how it turned out.
Tips, Tricks and Reminders
- Double Time Stamping. Triple Time Stamping came back with a vengeance last year. It was (and still is) very hot. Line up the layers of white card stock , stamp and then layer card stock beneath the layers to create a layered look. As I studied this image from Postage Due, I knew I wanted to see it in layers, but I limited the layers to two so that the image wouldn’t get too broken up. Rather than just stamping in black, I stamped with VersaMark and embossed both layers with black embossing powder.
- The Layers. I want to share the measurements for the layers on the front of this card. I was really happy with how it turned out, and some of that has to do with how effectively the card stock pieces are layered. Here’s a quick rundown (working our way from the outside to the inside):
- Basic Black – 5-1/2″ x 4-1/4″
- Whisper White – 5-1/4″ x 4″
- Basic Gray – 5″ x 3-3/4″
- Basic Black – 4″ x 3″
- Whisper White – 3-3/4″ x 2-3/4″
- Basic Black – 3-1/4″ x 2-1/4″
- Whisper White – 3″ x 2
- Texture. When I layered these pieces I knew I needed additional texture in the gray panel behind the stamped image. Should I use an embossing folder? No, it will fight with the image itself. Should I tear the paper to add a rough image? No, it will detract from the clean lines – and you know how I love clean lines. Here’s what I did: I dragged my Basic Gray ink pad over the Basic Gray paper. It adds just the right amount of texture to the background to give interest without detracting from the image in the center.
Stamp Set: Postage Due Papers: Basic Black, Basic Gray, Whisper White Inks: VersaMark, Basic Gray Accessories: Black Embossing Powder, 3/16″ Neutral brads, Stampin’ Dimensionals
There’s still time (maybe). Yesterday’s post included a Blog Candy giveaway. You can still leave a comment on this post for a chance to win this:
I will pick a winner tonight, so leave your comment on yesterday’s blog for a chance to win.
Thanks for stopping by my blog today!