This week’s Theme Challenge at Global Design Project is “Sparkles/Bling.” I’m not one to add lots of sparklies to my cards, but I took this theme challenge as a challenge. How could I make something sparkly but keep the overall feel simple and understated? I decided a shiny hot air balloon with the Up & Away Thinlits Dies would do the trick and decided to mount it against this most-beautiful pattern from By the Shore Designer Series Paper. Here’s my sweet-and-simple-and-yet-sparkly-and-blingy-card:
And here’s the banner for the challenge that inspired my card:
Doesn’t it look like the balloon is floating over the mountains in early morning? I know this page of paper from By the Shore (retiring at the end of May – or while supplies last) is a sea landscape, but it sure looks lovely as a foggy mountainside to me.
Tips, Tricks and Reminders
- Lift Me Up Bundle. While the Lift Me Up stamp set and Up & Away Thinlits Dies are both carrying over to Stampin’ Up!’s 2017-2018 Annual Catalog, the bundled savings (10% off the purchase of both together) will soon be gone. I’ve loved this bundle from the very start – and even if you don’t yet have it, I know it’s pulled at your heart strings, too. I don’t want you to miss out on the 10% discount, so be sure to pick it up before this catalog period ends in May. I only used the Thinlits for this card, but I certainly wouldn’t want to be without the stamp set. Here’s a look at the bundle:
- A Little Touch of Sparkle. I know, I know. You are still on the floor that I’ve used glimmer paper – AND you’re super-impressed that I used so much. I get it. I’m thrilled with myself but now have to power-wash the entire Fungeon. Despite my dislike of everything glitter (and my fear that I’ll lose my eyes to this horrible substance), I have to admit that it’s quite beautiful. Photographs don’t quite capture the shine and simmer of these cutouts, so I’ve included a quick picture here at a different angle (still doesn’t quite do it justice):
- Cutting Glimmer Paper. If you’ve ever taken a cooking class or watched Ina Garten on the television, then you know there’s only one way to cut tomatoes and bell peppers. You have to start from the smooth, outside surface and cut into the pulpy middle of the vegetable- your knife won’t nearly cut as well if you slice from the inside (I think the knife gets confused and thinks “this is easy!” and then stops working when you get to the smooth surface). The same goes for Glimmer Paper. To crop this balloon, I put a piece of Gold Glimmer Paper (horrifying glimmery-side down) on a Big Shot Precision Base Plate and placed the cutting side of the die on the white, flat backside of the paper. Easy to cut. I then threw away my Precision Base Plate, Big Shot and everything in that section of my craft room. I mounted the balloon on two cutouts of Thick Whisper White (using the backside of the cutout so that it lined up perfectly with the Glimmer Paper cutout).
Stamp Sets: Beautiful You Papers: By the Shore Designer Series Paper, Gold Glimmer Paper, Dapper Denim, Very Vanilla Inks: Dapper Denim Accessories: Up & Away Thinlits Dies, Precision Base Plate, Die Brush, Stampin’ Dimensionals
I hope you’ll pop over to the Global Design Project site to see the cards by the design team members (it’s quite an amazing display of sparkly goodness) and to play along with this week’s challenge.
Be careful out there – especially when working with glitter! 🙂
Thanks for stopping by today!
Retiring List. Stampin’ Up!’s retiring list was announced this past week – you can see all the items that will soon go away here:
IN WITH THE OLD & IN WITH THE NEW. In conjunction with the Retiring List, I’m excited to share my very own promotion from now until the middle of May. When you spend at least $50 with me and add your order to the current Hostess Code (TF2V6MNU), I’ll happily send you:
- A printed copy of the 2017-2018 Annual Catalog (I send them to all of my current customers) AND
- A Free Product from the Upcoming Annual Catalog. I’ll send you an incredible, new accessory from the upcoming catalog when it’s released in June. While I can’t yet tell you what it is, I’ll tell you it’s valued at $5, and you’ll love it!
If your order is over $150, I hope you’ll use all of the Host Rewards you’ve earned. Otherwise, I’d love for you to add your order to the current Hostess Code (TF2V6MNU).