Sometimes a simple sketch can inspire the entire card in your mind’s eye. The moment I saw Jen Mitchell’s super-clean design for this week’s Freshly Made Sketches challenge, I knew immediately which images and colors I’d use to recreate this fun sketch. I only made a few edits to my original concept – I’m talking about those changes in my post. Let’s start with my card:
And here’s Jen’s sketch that inspired my card:
- Star Details. I didn’t originally plan to add the small Crumb Cake stars in the background of my project. I so loved the look of the adorable star when I stamped it in Crushed Curry for the tree topper that I knew it would help me create a faint, but interested, backdrop for this card.
- Added Panel. I originally mounted the tree (with star, stand and sentiment) on a Crumb Cake base (with the stamped stars). After it was all glued down, I bumped the corner of the card on my desk – there was no way I could edit out that bump from my photo, so I cropped 1/4″ off each side and then mounted it on a piece of Whisper White. I’m SO HAPPY with that accident – I think the card-making gods were looking out for me.
Tips, Tricks and Reminders
- Cheer All Year stamp set. This is one of the very first stamp sets I inked up from Stampin’ Up!’s 2015 Holiday Catalog. I love it! Not only are the sentiments great for Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas, but the images are super-adorable. I’ve been drawn to this bold Christmas tree from the start, but today is the first day I’ve actually inked it up. This bold image needed a bold color, so Cucumber Crush was a perfect choice.
- Other Coordinating Pieces. The tree coordinates with the Perfect Pines Framelits Dies – yipee! Although the tree if from Cheer All Year, I also dressed her up with a star and tree stand from Peaceful Pines. What wonderful coordination – thanks, Stampin’ Up! This sentiment (from Happy Scenes) works perfectly with this tree – and I punched it with the Washi Label punch for a perfect accent to the tree. I didn’t need the entire thickness of the punched image, so I stamped the sentiment along the bottom of a piece of Thick Whisper White cardstock and lined up the punch to crop only a portion of the paper. Here’s a quick visual:
- Festive Christmas Colors. This bright and sassy tree needed a fun accent with the pop of Rose Red, but it also needed a soft neutral that allowed it to really pop. While this color combination isn’t a traditional Christmas combination (see my post on color combinations for Christmas here), it certainly fits well with these fun images, don’t you think?
Stamp Sets: Cheer All Year, Happy Scenes, Peaceful Pines Papers: Crumb Cake, Thick Whisper White, Whisper White Inks: Cucumber Crush, Rose Red, Crushed Curry, Crumb Cake Accessories: Perfect Pines Framelits Dies, Washi Label punch, Stampin’ Dimensionals
I hope you’ll pop over to the Freshly Made Sketches site to see the cards by the design team members and to play along with this week’s challenge.
Thanks for stopping by today!
While you are placing your order from the Holiday Catalog, it’s a great time to take a second look at the items on this week’s Weekly Deals list! 🙂 If you are placing an order less than $150, please consider adding a Hostess Code (you can always access the current Hostess code under “Current Promotions” and “Current Access Code” in the dropdowns above (or CLICK HERE)